When the time stood still...

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 32; the thirty-second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is 'An Untold Story'
“Rohan”, I gasped.
A decade and I see him again, unplanned, unexpectedly, standing on the long flight of stair of the hotel. I looked up from the brochures I had in hand, looking for my silly friends and my fiance, and I saw him. Taken aback for a moment, or maybe longer. I saw surprised registered on his face as well. A decade! My God. He looked as if he has just jumped out straight from my memories, only better. He kept looking at me and I felt a familiar tug at my heart.

No, I don’t love him anymore.”
He walked down the stairs. I felt intimidated. My friends are nowhere to be seen. He stood close to me now, way too close for my own comfort. And I stood staring at him like a spellbound teenager.

shadow of lovers





His oceanic eyes green eyes grew a few shades darker, or maybe it was the lights playing the trick. I was not sure. But suddenly I remembered how I thought he wore lenses, and often tried to find the proof. No ones eyes could have been this green, this captivating. A smile crept over his lips, ever so slowly.

“He knows!!! He knows what I am thinking. He still can read my mind.”

But I don’t care. I am lost in the memories of the way his mouth used to consume me. A cloud of both passion and pain floats over his face.

“He  remembers that too.”

Suddenly the locks of my hair did what they have never done in ages, they started dancing all over my face. And like always, like he used to, he tucked them behind my ears. My skin burned where his fingers touched my face.

“No, i don’t love him now.”

But I left a part of me with him. And now all my being was calling to that part. We stood there, for what felt like eternity. Visiting and revisiting the memories we had made together. A sadness filled his eyes. Seems like he came to the end sooner than I did.

“He misses me!!”

I gasped at the realization. Not sure whether it felt good or bad. it just felt different-both  satisfying and disturbing. Now that I really see him in the pretext of present, I realised he has changed, he looked different from my memories. His little boy tousled hairs were combed to perfection. His eyes wasn't gleaming with anxiety and happiness, but were serious and matured. And his smile was broken, not like that in fighting. He had never been the kind to fight. But broken like, it didn't touch his eyes like it used to. he looked like a man who have erected high walls around him, high impenetrable walls. Like the ones who had been hurt and broken and don’t want to be there yet again.

“Was he hurt and broken when he left me?”

I never thought like that back then. And why would I have? He was the one who called it off.



“I don’t think this long distance relationship is working.”

I still remember his words, and boy it still stung like it did then. True, we have been losing the touch with each other ever since he went abroad working on a project. We had been the envied couple before that. And till sometimes even after that. he would call whenever he had time. And we would do a video chat every weekend catching over on each other, telling how much we miss and love each other

“Its just the matter of six months baby. And then we will be together forever.”

But that forever never came.And the six months stretched into another six months and then another. He became busy and busier And i tried to be content by the fact that we were still together. I never saw the distance replacing the togetherness, or maybe i was too scared to notice. We were losing the touch and the love as well.




“I don’t think this long distance relationship is working.”

And it was all over. Just like that. Three years of love, lost its battle to one and half years of separation. And now here we are again. He opened his mouth to say something. And suddenly i felt a familiar comfortable warmth of arms wrapping around my shoulders.

“Sweetheart!!!”

Aarav, my fiance. He had a concerned questioning tone in his whisper. And before I turned to answer him, I saw Rohan’s face turn fifty shades of sadness. I wanted to comfort him, tell him that no one can take his place. He was after all my first love. But I didn’t. i knew it was worthless. And moreover, in these stretching decade, he has turned from a most relished tale to be an untold story. And i preferred to keep it that ways.
The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: BLOGGER NAME, Participation Count:03

30 Obiters:

Ayushi Pratit Khare said...

You reminded me something very badly... I loved your story and narration... All the very best..

the factfiction said...

Ayushi...am so sorry if I have revoked unwanted memories...and thanks a lot

Rishabh Khullar said...

Lovely story.. This story is somewhat connected to everyone who read it.. Every one felt connected to it.. even me..

the factfiction said...

am glad Rishabh :)

Anonymous said...

Ah ha, x-lovers become the untold tale! Nice angle.

I like how you laid emphasis on the thoughts and emotions, rather than the uncomfortable conversation.

Deepa from FictionPies said...

Awww, lovely story, well narrated! Touches a nerve! Best wishes for BAT!

Rohan Kachalia said...

Nicely narrated story. Struck the right cord. :) ATB for BAT!

Please do read my entry: http://ponderingtwo.blogspot.in/2012/10/love-torn.html

the factfiction said...

unknownshri..thanks :)

the factfiction said...

Deepa..glad you liked it :)

the factfiction said...

Rohan..thanks...sure will go thru it.

aativas said...

Well narrated story!

Karan Shah said...

very nicely done
ATB for BAT :)

Karan Shah said...

very nicely done
ATB for BAT :)

Megha said...

I agree with Unknownshri- that what is commendable is the fact that you laid emphasis on the emotions..
I loved the "conversations in the inverted commas" :) - heart talking.. :D ..aloud!

The end however is very mature..and pragmatic.. :)
All the best to you for BAT 32 :)

the factfiction said...

Karan thanks :)

the factfiction said...

megha...I couldn't think of conversations taking place :P.yeah hearts talking aloud appeals a lot to me too..thanks for dropping by :)

Jayashree Srivatsan said...

Very well narrated, the myriad thoughts and feelings depicted beautifully. Great.

Panchali said...

Very creative writing.Enjoyed reading this~

ARJUN MS said...

Nice plot,liked the narration too. :)

Do visit my blog :)

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

Very, very nice. There is so much, so relatable.

Very beautifully written.

the factfiction said...

jaish_vauts..thanks a lot :)

the factfiction said...

panchali..glad you liked it

the factfiction said...

Arjun MS- sure will...keep dropping in

the factfiction said...

kshitij...am so gld to see you again :)

Apala Sengupta said...

sweet narration! a bunch of emotions out there! lovely! :)

BAT32-Apala

Someone is Special said...

To be true I personally hate the concept that distance Relationships never work but I loved what you said in the last line :-) Untold stories!

the factfiction said...

apala...thanks :)

the factfiction said...

SOS- am so glad to see you again. personally even I don't like the concept..but here it was just an excuse...am glad you liked it anyways :)

Renju said...

Written from heart. .that's for sure. .Cant distinguish whether its fiction or personal experience. . Very good post. . .

the factfiction said...

renju...thanks...every fiction is someone's personal story aint it :)

Post a Comment

 
Animated Social Gadget - Blogger And Wordpress Tips